More FREE Facts Circle 25 on card
Cottone’s Practical Infection Control in
Dentistry. 3rd ed. Baltimore: Lippincott Williams
& Wilkins; 2009:148-170.
9. Rutala WA, Weber DJ, and the Healthcare
Infection Control Practices Advisory Committee.
Guideline for disinfection and sterilization in
healthcare facilities. https://www.cdc.gov/
infectioncontrol/pdf/guidelines/disinfection-guidelines.pdf. Published 2008. Updated
February 15, 2017. Accessed July 14, 2017.
10. Division of Oral Health, National Center for
Chronic Disease Prevention and Health
Promotion. Dental handpieces and other
devices attached to air and waterlines. CDC
html. Updated March 26, 2016. Accessed July
11. American Dental Association. Sterilization and
disinfection of dental instruments. ADA website.
Center/FIles/ cdc_sterilization.ashx. Published
2004. Updated July 2009. Accessed July 16,
12. Organization for Safety, Asepsis, and Prevention.
Frequently asked questions (FAQs) on dental
infection control. http://www.osap.org/?FAQ_
July 14, 2017.
13. Lewis DL, Arens M, Appleton SS, et al.
Cross-contamination potential with dental
equipment. Lancet. 1992;340(8830):1252-1254.
14. Garland KV. Separate the facts from fiction.
Dimen Dent Hyg. 2012; 10( 12): 44-48.
15. Kelsch N. Sterilizing handpieces. RDH.
2011; 31( 11): 97.
16. Gordon BL, Burke FJ, Bagg J, Marlborough HS,
McHugh ES. Systematic review of adherence to
infection control guidelines in dentistry. J Dent.
2001; 29( 8):509-516.
17. Garland KV. A survey of U.S. dental hygienists’
knowledge, attitudes, and practices with
infection control guidelines. J Dent Hyg.
2013; 87( 3):140-151.
18. McCarthy GM, Koval JJ, MacDonald JK.
Compliance with recommended infection
control procedures among Canadian dentists:
results of a national survey. Am J Infect Control.
1999; 27( 5):377-384.
19. States with infection control training
requirements. Infection Control and Patient
Safety Training Solutions website. http://
Accessed July 16, 2017.
20. Amos J. Sterilization Center Area [VIDEO] – Is It
the New “Gloves?” How to Open a Dental Office
sterilization-center/. Published October 23,
2014. Accessed July 14, 2017.
21. Chang WJ, Chang YH. Patient satisfaction
analysis: Identifying key drivers and enhancing
service quality of dental care. J Dent Sci.
SEAN G. BOYNES, DMD,
MS, is the director of
interprofessional practice at
the DentaQuest Institute in
overseeing national programs
and initiatives focused on the
integration and coordination of
health care. A prolific speaker
and author, he has been recognized by many
organizations for his work in health policy and clinical
care. He can be reached at sean.boynes@